I spend a lot of time on the Ram Van. Whether coming from my internship, classes, or a night on the town, my rides on the Ram Van offer plenty of time to reflect upon what the hell just happened in Manhattan. Some of these stories, you just have to read to believe...

Monday, January 28, 2013

That Girl You Never Want to See but Always End Up Seeing



Okay. You've heard of Whack-a-Mole, right? That game where the moles pop up over and over again and annoy you until you hit them with a hammer? 

Well that's basically my relationship with this girl I know named Courtney.* 

I'm not kidding. She pops up everywhere, just like the moles from Whack-a-Mole, and always at the most inopportune times. This week alone, I saw her four times (not intentionally). And it wouldn't be too bad, but there's just something about her that's incredibly irksome. It might be her weirdo fifth grade pigtails that she's always wearing. Or it could be her complete and total lack of social self-awareness. 

She always blabbers on and on, and thwarts any attempts to escape the conversation. So you can imagine my frustration when twice this week, I met a friend in a Starbucks to talk about semi-private and fairly heavy things, and Courtney whack-a-moled her way into our conversations and stayed forever despite obvious hints that our conversation was private. But this was in a Starbucks on campus, so I guess I kind of understand why I kept seeing her there. 

But - and I kid you not - when I got a text saying "I'm waving to you through the windows at your work," I almost died. WHAT? How did she find me here, in another borough of the city? Are her pigtails hiding some crazy antennae that let her know where I am at all times? Is she really just a Jumanji-style Whack-a-Mole that I accidentally brought to life?

Dramatic, maybe. But it's getting out of hand. I'm afraid that she's lurking around every corner, just waiting to launch into a conversation about her socks that are a nice blend of cotton and nylon, or her mom's cousin who bought a green car. She's perfectly nice in small doses, but if she pops up in my shower soon (which I'm almost certain will happen any day now), I might lose it.




*named changed so I don't seem like as much of a heartless monster.

3 comments:

  1. I literalled LOLed when I read your post. There are so many people in my life that I barely interact with but ALWAYS manage to pop up...whether they comment my status on Facebook, like my photo on instagram, etc. But the difference between you and I is that I'M NOT EVEN FRIENDS WITH THESE PEOPLE. Yes, we've met in certain social circumstances but other than that...NADA. It's totallyyyyyy creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lack total self-awareness, and I sometimes wear pigtails. I wonder if I'm the Courtney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're going to make everyone with pig tails paranoid. :)

    ReplyDelete